Friday 11 May 2012

"Short Story"


Please note: This post was uploaded at April 30th.

Hello everybody!

Time flies, unbelievable! I was asked a few times this weekend to upload a new story and I thought to myself: “my god, I just did!” It has been ten days already! Not that I didn’t experience lots of things!

Firstly, Puck and Brienne left last Thursday. So sad! They are irreplaceable and I really miss them. Veetje (Vukani) is here to replace them when it comes to cooking, because he also doesn’t know how to cook eggs and rice. He also doesn’t know that you should turn off the gas cooker when you’ve finished ‘cooking’. I sometimes still listen to Love on Top from Beyonce, despite hearing it over 22933 times thanks to Puck. Last Sunday I visited Umlazi with them for the last time and there I was recognized because of my djembe-act in Cool Runnings. I think I should definitely stay here. I’m becoming famous.

Second, my Iphone. It is a long stupid story so I’ll save you guys that one. It’s gone anyway. There are definitely worse things than that. I just learned that you have to be careful about whom you trust and that you should always make sure you’re stuff is in a safe place. Yes I know you warned me, but I like to learn the hard way;)

Green squad!
Despite the fact that my two lovely roomies left I did have another great weekend. On Thursday, we had an OneVoice teambuilding day at the Botanic Garden. I put some of the photos on my facebook, which you may have seen already. I had a great time! Every round was about teambuilding and believing in yourself as a part of that team. In the first round we had to play a board game. Our team was definitely the best team, but it turned out that the bests don’t always win;) After that we made some sort of painting with all different types of materials. The theme of the painting was Teamwork. Some pictures are made off this painting, but I will upload them later because I don’t have them on my computer yet. As I’m not the handiest person, I worked on painting the letters and getting a tan. Got to know your talents here.. After this round we had a quiz about general knowledge. Probably general knowledge in South Africa is about knowing how long a snail can sleep, how many taste buds a pig has and how fast a dolphin can swim. We had so much fun and I learned a lot haha. In another round we had to fix this puzzle and build a brancard afterwards to run a track with. After this we did the blindfolding game and some shooting with bow and arrow. Thank god I wasn’t born as a man in prehistory, because I would’ve definitely starved my family. After all, I had a great day and got to know everyone a little bit better! I would love you guys to meet my colleagues because they are all amazing people!


Red squad!
Hard work! 




Friday I had the day off because of Freedom day. It celebrates freedom and commemorates the first post-apartheid elections held on that day in 1994. They were the first national elections in South Africa in which the franchise did not depend upon race. This is quite a formal day and not a good excuse to get drunk like our Queensday back in Holland. That’s why I went to a Cricket tournament with the team which was also staying at Tekweni. It was about time to get to know the game as it is one of the major sports in South Africa. The first game was still a bit confusing to me but after a while I really started to like it. After two games I got so enthusiastic, I got back on the sideline on Saturday. Honestly, this was not the only reason for me to come back. The team is really amazing and they’re all very nice guys. I want to thank all of them for being so kind and generous during their staying in Durban. Actually every single one of you deserves a shout out here, but that would take way to long. Thanks guys for the amazing weekend! I miss you already.

On Saturday I went to an Indian Party with some people from Tekweni. We went there by truck. On our way there the guys helped us girls very gently to climb in but on our way back it was the other way around. Wati didn’t need any help to get off though... The party was in Cuba at the stadium and we had a blast! The music was great just as the crowd!

Another difference compared to Holland is the money and with that I mean the notes. R10 is around €1 and most of the time when I’m winning money I obtain R1000. That’s 10 notes of R100 because R100 is the highest note they have. Can you imagine that the ten euro note would be the highest note we had? I told Veetje that we even have €500 notes and he almost fainted. R5000 notes!? How can you ever give change then!? Ehmm.. with €200 or €50 maybe? He shook his head: I’m from a stupid country..

It could be a stupid country but some things around here are really stupid to me too. Even at the busiest roads you can cross the streets here with the ‘help’ of traffic lights. Just as in Holland you press the button and then the red man will switch to green. The sign that you don’t have to watch out for the cars anymore and you can just easily cross the streets. At least, that’s what I thought. This little green man actually needs to tell you that no cars will drive straight on anymore, but all the other cars will drive on! After lots of hooting, I’m watching out very carefully now.

Today I finally did what I was postponing for 10 days, namely visit the hospital. About two weeks ago I bumped my knee in the swimming pool, nothing to worry about. Puck and Brienne both had a very bad infection after a similar accident, but that won’t happen to me was what I thought. Luckily they left their Dettol here, because my knee started to look like a fly agaric. It started to hurt more and more and it didn’t look very well. I will spare you the details. I took a cab to the hospital and had an appointment at 11:10 with dr. Roberts. I was prepared to wait, because when Brienne went to the hospital she had to wait for 3,5 hours. Luckily I only had to wait till 11:30 and my doctor was a young Indian girl. She said she could see it was infected, because it was red and infected (Are you kidding me?). That was it. Next up, pharmacy to get the antibiotics. When I got there I was the first one up but I left after another 7 clients. When I was waiting, this elderly tiny man came in. He came to pick up medicines but these medicines weren’t there for the second time. He had to come back the next day. He asked if he could spend the night in the hospital. “What’s wrong sir? Are you not feeling well?” “No I’m fine, but I can’t afford another taxi ride tomorrow. I can walk but that means that I won’t be able to earn money”.
After another excuse he was sent back home. By foot. I could feel the tears burning in my eyes and gave the man some money. This was the first time I gave someone money, but this man spent all his money on medicines and now there was this chance that he wouldn’t pick those up because he might not be able to get there. He said to me that he was so grateful, because of me his daughter would get better and because he didn’t have to walk tomorrow he would have more time to earn money. Imagine... all these beautiful words for less than two Euros...

As you can see, lots of things have happened again! I thought this would be a short story but apparently not! I’m sorry! I hope you are all doing well and I hope you guys enjoyed reading my new experiences! I’m looking forward to your responses again. Be well everyone!


Lots of love Esther

P.s. I can’t wait till Juli because that’s when Michelle’s coming over! Can’t wait honey we will have a greeeeat time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment