Wednesday 6 June 2012

Afrikiki?!


It’s June already! South African winter! You can definitely say that because every now and then the temperature decreases to 22 degrees! Brrrr.. Today it’s 29 again though. The past two weeks were pretty quiet, but I will give you a short update!

Lolly was talking about a movie for a while which she wanted to see in the cinema, so last weekend we went to ‘Think like a man, Act like a lady’. The title describes exactly what it is about. We wanted to get us some popcorn but as the cue for popcorn was even longer than the cue for a Madonna concert (even though there were only two movies on) we decided to leave the popcorn. I think there were about 50 people in the room and once again, I was the only white person. The actors were also Afro-American which made all visitors their family. It was just like a movie. Every joke or statement the actor or actress made, you could hear someone in the crowd: “That’s my brother!” or “You hear that sisters” or “That’s right my man!” People were laughing very loud and the woman who was sitting next to me was also very enthusiastic. There was this one joke that she had to laugh so hard about that she hit my knee incredibly hard. Oeehh what a movie!

Then the monkeys! Last week I was driving home from work and suddenly the taxi pulled over. I was sitting on the front seat so I could see very clearly what was going on. I saw a lady running and screaming around on the road. Then I saw what she was chasing. Six monkeys were sitting with a plastic bag from Spar on the grass. Another 4 monkeys came to them to choose something from the back to run away with. When the lady finally reached the bag, there was nothing left, except for some packaging. The monkeys were sitting in a tree safely.

I think I’m starting to get used to the African way of living more and more. I don’t get surprised anymore when I have to wait for something, when I see people looking for food in trash cans on every corner of the street or when girls use the trash cans in clubs when the cue for the ladies room is too long. (Okay, I’ve only seen that twice and I still believe it’s disgusting). I don’t think I’ll ever become a real Afrikiki though. It gets clearer to me every day that I can’t walk by myself at nights and that I can’t trust everyone. I don’t think that I can ever get used to that fact. I really miss my bicycle during the night!;)

Furthermore, the past few days were pretty calm. Next week starts the annual Tuberculosis Conference in Durban and OneVoice will have her own booth. Marlijn asked me to manage that so I am looking forward to that! It is from the 12th to the 15th of June and the weekend after I will probably visit another project where Amimi works, close to the Valley of a thousand hills. It is beautiful over there so I am very excited!

Besides all this, I am starting to miss everyone more and more though! After this week I’ve finished 10 weeks which means I am half way there! Amazing how time flies!

Lots of love and I will see you all in 10 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment